Windkraftparks haben einfluss aufs Doppler-Radar

In diesem Board werden lehrreiche Aufsätze, Übersetzungen und Forschungsergebnisse dergleichen abgelegt oder verlinkt, die sich mit dem Thema "Wetter/Gewitter" beschäftigen.
Antworten
Bosco

Windkraftparks haben einfluss aufs Doppler-Radar

Beitrag von Bosco » Freitag 28. August 2009, 13:59

Hallo

ein ganz interssanter Artikel aus den USA das Windkraftanlagen fehldarstellungen im Doppler verursachen. Es ist soweit gekommen das, dass NWS eine falsche Tornadowarnung in Kansas rausgegeben hat.

Hier mal der Text aus Jesse Ferrel Accuweather.com Blog
False Tornado Warnings From Wind Farms?
There's an Associated Press story today (and others on Google News) talking about wind turbine farms showing up on NEXRAD Radar. I've been following this story for quite a while, after I visited our local wind farm in 2007.
The article says that both amateur and professional weathermen have been fooled by the signatures, which may look like a thunderstorm. In fact the government even issued a false Tornado Warning in Kansas. Here's an example of the problem of wind farms appearing on radar, courtesy the NWS:
Bild
This is not new news; the NWS has an entire website dedicated to this subject that's been online for several years. What is news is the affect its having on professional and amateur weather forecasters as wind farms become more popular. Here is a related article about a wind farm in the NWS-Milwaukee's area (thanks Scott L.).

NOTE: I'm not going to rehash Wind Power Myths or pros & cons here, because I did that last year in this article.

Here are some important points:

1. This should not be fooling trained professionals into issuing Tornado Warnings

2. For amateur radar viewers, this is not the only kind of false echo that you have to worry about

3. The effect is limited to a small distance from the radar, but you may think you saw them further out

4. The NWS is unable to remove wind farms like they would mountains or other clutter.

Here is some more information on each point:

1. I was surprised to hear that trained radar professionals in our government issued a false Tornado Warning based on wind farms. Although the radar signatures can be impressive, it should be easy to use other tools such as Visible Satellite radar looping, or, heck, webcams. (Disclaimers: Visible satellite or webcams might not update quick enough; in regards to radar loops, the wind farms should always be there and won't move over time -- unless you're in a situation where storms are also not moving, this should be a big clue).
Bild

2. The idea of seeing something on radar that looks like a storm, but isn't, is not a new phenomenon. There are several situations where the radar reports back false data. For more on this, see my blog published in 2007 entitled "Radar, Lies & Videotape, Part 2"

3. The NWS site includes line-of-sight maps for each radar site (showing where wind farms could show up on radar, something they generalize as "11-35 miles" in the article). The point is that the radar beam starts at several hundred feet up, often on a hill where hills are available, and points upward from there. The illustration below attempts to show this.
Now, you may swear you've seen your local wind farms out to 100 miles on the radar. I've seen them too. But I have to assume (here in the East anyway) what we're really seeing is actually the mountains that the farms are erected on. The NWS should be able to remove mountains from the radar images at your local office with software masks, but they may not always do that (I assume because it could leave holes in the rain echoes covering them).

4. So why doesn't the NWS just remove the wind farms with that same software? As the article points out (this finally "clicked" for me today) the software assumes the objects aren't moving when it removes them. As you can see on the image above, turbine blades do appear to have a velocity signature (probably because, duh, they are moving!).

Hier nochmal die links
http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blog ... thermatrix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/?n=windfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gruß Marcel
Gruß Marcel

Oliver
Beirat
Re: Windkraftparks haben einfluss aufs Doppler-Radar

Beitrag von Oliver » Sonntag 25. Juli 2010, 11:47

Das ist ein sehr interessanter Artikel! Ich werde mal meine Augen offen halten, ob es bei den großen Windparks in Deutschland an Tagen mit hoher Luftfeuchte ähnliche Signaturen gibt. Das wäre ein systematischer Fehler, dem man noch relativ gut aus dem Wege gehen könnte (im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen Radarfehlern).

Ich hätte da auch ein probates Mittel: wie wäre es denn mit Webcams in der Nähe der Windkraftanlagen? So könnte man sehen, ob dort tatsächlich eine Gewitterzelle ist oder ob es sich um einen Radarfehler handelt.

CMM

Beitrag von CMM » Sonntag 25. Juli 2010, 13:24

Ich weiß nicht, wie das in den USA ist, aber Windkraftanlagen in Deutschland müssen in der Nähe von Radargeräten anders gebaut werden.
Man stelle sich mal vor, die alle würden Radarstörungen hevor rufen:
Bild

Sebastian

Beitrag von Sebastian » Freitag 27. August 2010, 17:59

Soweit ich weiß, dürfen in der Nähe von Radars keine Windanlagen gebaut werden. Bei uns in der nähe sollten auch welche gebaut werden, aber jetzt soll eine Wetterstation (wahrscheinlich mit Radar) gebaut werden, wo früher mal ein Lufraumüberwachungsturm oder sowas stand.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Literaturhinweise, Publikationen und Dokumentationen“